|Title Page||Contents||Michigan||History||Card List|
William D. Murray, in his 1935 History of the Boy Scouts of America, credits Camp Owasippe with being one of the first council-owned camps in the country. It was the gift of Stamford White to the Scouts of Chicago, Illinois. The property had been deeded to the Scouts in 1912, but some Scouters believe that Scouts had camped there the year before.
The first year or two it was called "Camp White," but the name was very quickly changed to "Camp Owasippe," and eventually it became the "Owasippe Scout Reservation."
Most of the correspondence from Owasippe was taken to Whitehall, Michigan to be mailed. At some point in time a U.S. Post Office was established in the camp and a seasonal postmaster was appointed. Early postmarks from Owasippe, Michigan are very difficult to obtain. Eventually the Post Office was downgraded to a rural station of Twin Lakes, Michigan.
Other camps that were known to have had U.S. Seasonal Boy Scout Camp Post Offices include: