The numbering system used is from Scott's Standard Postage Stamp Catalog with the following exceptions:
(M) Minkus New World Wide Postage Stamp Catalog or
Stamps listed without a letter designation are for regular postage, others as indicated:
Air Post Officials
Air Post Semi-postal
All stamps issued perforate, (*) indicates also issued imperforate
The number of holes within 20 millimeters determines the Perforation Number: as Perf. 10½. When horizontal and vertical numbers differ, the horizontal number is first: Jamaica #150 perf. 13½ x 13.
Status of Issues
Differing opinion as to status of this issue because of one or more of the following reasons:
1. some collectors do not feel that this is a "Scout" issue
2. the number of stamps issued far exceed the postal needs of the issuing country
3. the values of the stamps serve no practical use in the country's rate structure (usually including one or more exceptionally high values)
4. the government of the issuing country does not recognize the stamps.
5. issuing practices and policies that are abusive (aimed primarily at the stamp collector's pocketbook)
6. this issue was not both
(a) printed by the government or by government contract, and (b) issued or sold by the government.
For further information please see the three editorials What is a Scout Stamp?
I wish to acknowledge and thank the following, without whose help, continued encouragement and assistance, this work would not have been completed:
Cover design by Bill Allen.
I have endeavored to present as much information as possible on SOS, in a form that would be most useful to the individual collector. This material has been carefully edited for errors however these are bound to occur. All comments, additional information or questions should be directed to:
Howard J. Kaplan